Ladies, Ladies, Ladies!

The mixed media block prints I'm working on got their start a couple of years ago when I created sketches in preparation for some larger paintings. Those sketches developed a life of their own and turned into turned into Sotheby's Super Southern Social. The basis of all of the work stemmed from creating the Icons of Southern Womanhood, drawing on depictions of religious icons from the Italian Renaissance. I created the Lady of Barefoot and Pregnant, the Lady of Refinement, and the Lady of Resourcefulness, but I didn't get too far with my icons before the Come and Take It series took off. The block prints I'm working on, though, are coming back to those fine ladies.




Lady of Barefoot and Pregnant


Lady of Refinement


Lady of Refinement


Sketch for Lady of Resourcefulness


Sketch for Lady of Resourcefulness




Comments

Popular Posts