Artsy Fartsy

For a long time I thought my ultimate dream job would be to only write art historical research papers. If I had the same accessibility and resources now as I did in school, I'd spend all of my time reading; I'd discover how the most minute detail ties all that research together, and then I'd put it into a paper even though it wouldn't satisfy any course credits or pay the bills. It's been several years since I was in school, but I can't let go of my research notes or Independent Study papers.


I could pull out more of my research materials, but I think you get the idea.


The thing about art and finding a career in it is, it's really hard to do without an abundance of money and privilege. Text books are expensive. Unpaid internships... Masters degrees. Most public libraries don't stock the kind of in-depth books and articles you'd need. Online scholarly journals are also not easily accessible. Even the way people talk about art in magazines and galleries can be exclusive.


Danielle Greene, Eleven A.M., 2015. Oil on linen. 51" x 40". Image taken from Artsy.



A representative from Artsy reached out to me in response to one of my comics so I checked out their website. Artsy is an all-encompassing art website with a huge range of resources for everybody. It's exciting to me because their work not only articulates some of my feelings about art accessibility-- they're actually bridging some gaps. A few years ago I decided that my art manifesto would be about crossing out of the "art world" and into the space of folks who don't quite get what all this art stuff is about. It's been a restructuring of how I approach my work, and now I have one more great resource out there to help me along the way.


Alex Cameron, Composition Red Shores, 2010. Oil on canvas. 38" x 30"
Alex Cameron is an artist that I found on Artsy's website. I'm drawn to his landscapes because they're reminiscent of Charles Burchfield's work, one of the artists I did my research on. Image taken from Thielsen Gallery.

Comments

Popular Posts