THIS HAIR CANNOT BE STOPPED

My hair is kind of a big deal. Actually, it's huge. In the 90s navigating a head full of thick, wiry hair was impossible. Instead I cut it off and had super-short hair for years; it was the only way my hair would ever look straight. The way I perceive myself physically and the way I perceive myself deeper as a person are usually way too wrapped up in my hair. Thank goodness there's been a huge push for new ways to perceive beauty and "good hair". It makes it easier for me to come to terms with the mess that's on top of my head. 

Hair Lethargy

As a kid I loved to draw, and my dad gave me two books by Jack Hamm that had a huge impact on me: Drawing the Head and Figure, and Cartooning the Head and Figure. Hamm gave me some great tools and an understanding of artists' anatomy that I use to this day, but he oversimplifies the finer features. When it comes to hair, I can tell you that Jack Hamm got it all wrong because, as any curly haired person knows, it's a lot more complicated than he ever could have realized.

Hamm, Jack. Drawing the Head and Figure. Perigree Books, The Putnam Publishing Group, New York, NY. 1963. pp. 20,21.

The more I learn to love who I am, the more I embrace my hair. It's a part of learning self-love. I realized today that the more okay I am with my hair, the more I draw it, and as I draw my hair and my ideas about my hair, I begin to draw and depict my whole self. The more I make art about my hair, the more I love it, and the more I love myself. Art is healing like that. 

A rough sketch for Brushwork: Cute Do.

Thanks to art, and the difficult journey of self-love, I'm reaching a new milestone. Today I'm gonna' get a bonafide haircut at a real hair salon for the first time in eight years! It's one more step in the hair journey, which is really a step in my journey of learning more about who I am and figuring out how to rest in support and acceptance of me.

Hair Dreams

Comments

Popular Posts